90940 Aspects of mechanics
This study guide covers the things you'll need to know and be able to do for Achievement Standard 90940 'Demonstrate understanding of aspects of mechanics'. This includes:
- distance and speed and distance-time graphs
- acceleration and speed-time graphs
- mass, weight and the acceleration due to gravity
- balanced and unbalanced forces
- forces and the relationship between force, mass and acceleration
- force and pressure
- gravitational potential energy, kinetic energy
- energy transformations and conservation of energy
- work and power.
How you'll learn
People learn in different ways. Here are some of the ways you can use this study guide.
Self-paced learning – the material is set up so you can learn at your own pace. So, although there are 'suggested' times for each page, they're just a guideline. Plan your learning to suit you.
Practice activities – throughout this course there are short activities. These activities are for you to complete. These activities give you a great chance to practise what you've learned and compare your answer to the model feedback. Look at the feedback carefully to see if you have missed out any aspects from your answer.
Submitting photos – sometimes people find it easier to scribble down a diagram or show their working with pen and paper. No problem! You can still store all your working and diagrams with the activity. That way you'll be able to refer back to your answers when you're revising. Simply take a photo of your work and upload it with the relevant activity.